My Blog group

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Should 9-year-old climb Mount Everest?

Should 9-year-old climb Mount Everest?Sherpa Pemba Dorje and his son Tseten say they'll climb Everest in 2011.

This week for my blog I choose to write about should a 9 year climb Mt. Everest?
I say why not, a 13-year-old from California stunned the world when he became the youngest person to summit Mount Everest. Sherpa Pemba Dorje is the kid’s father, who also holds the world record for the fastest Everest ascent 8 hours, 10 minutes. The boy and his father have been practicing for the climb by climbing Mount Ramdung, a 19,440-foot peak.
Im sure some people would disagree and say a nine year doesn’t need to be climbing Mt. Everest. Past Everest climbers have experienced motor-skill dysfunction, sleep troubles, language disassociation and other problems that may be related to depriving the brain of oxygen while climbing, experts say. Since his father is such well known climber I think the boy shouldn’t have any problems and if he’s practicing with his father he should be fine. I think it would be really neat as a young person to set new records and make history at such a young age.

1 comment:

  1. I say let him do it!! As long as a parent is there to supervise. I think children should be given all the experiences that we can, as long as safety is followed!!

    ReplyDelete