My Blog group

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Get some sleep: No Snoring is safe


Get some sleep: No Snoring is safe

For my blog entry I’m writing about how no snoring is safe. Both my grandpa’s always snored so badly I remember. My grandparents even had separate bedrooms because of my grandpa’s snoring. I have learned that snoring can be a serious sign of sleep apnea and sleep apnea increases the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity. I work in a hospital and I think people don’t really realize how dangerous snoring really is. Its more than just nudging or kicking the person in bed to make them stop snoring, we all know that only last a couple of minutes till they start up again.
            Sleep apnea is a collapse of the upper airway during sleep that leads to frequent mini-awakenings of which the patient is rarely aware. It often causes a lowering of the oxygen levels. Another interesting study I found was published in SLEEP in 2008, showed that people who displayed loud snoring throughout the night during a sleep test were 10 times more likely to have carotid atherosclerosis, which means plague buildup in the carotid arteries of their neck. This is a major risk factor for stroke. So snoring is pretty serious and if you do snore you should get it checked out if could save your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment